Using a Mobile Device as a Hotspot to Connect a WiFi Controller
Most phone WiFi hotspot features can be used as the local WiFi signal to connect your WiFi controller to the internet. This is useful if there is no Local Area WiFi Network available in the range of the WiFi controller.
There are some drawbacks to this configuration that should be noted:
- When your phone is outside the range of the WiFi controller you will not be able to access your controller.
- If your phone is not within range of the controller, some features that are updated regularly through an internet connection may be interrupted, Automatic Seasonal Adjust is updated nightly through an internet connection for instance.
- Your carrier’s normal data charges will apply.
Setting up a Rain Bird WiFi controller to work on a mobile device hotspot is very similar to the normal controller setup process. Here are some basic steps:
- Verify the mobile device personal hotspot is turned on. This is normally done in the settings of the device.
- Identify the mobile device personal hotspot name and password. This information is usually also found in the same area of the device settings where the personal hotspot was turned on.
- Go through the regular Rain Bird WiFi controller setup and when asked to connect the controller to a WiFi network, use the mobile device personal hotspot name and password.
For additional information on setting up the Rain Bird WiFi module please click on this article: